Landoor’s CAT tools
Landoor’s approach combines the translator’s sensitivity and expertise with indispensable computer-assisted translation technologies. To provide clients with efficient, quality translation services, our professionals receive continuous training to maximize their use of the innovative language technology tools at their fingertips. These software solutions are excellent tools because they considerably reduce translation time and margin for error without ever replacing the translator, who plays a vital part for Landoor. CAT tools benefit translators in a number of different ways:
- Optimized terminology management: glossaries and translation databases are automatically searched for each segment as it is translated;
- All original formatting and coding remain intact: the translator seamlessly translates the content on an interface that preserves the formatting and/or original tags, which are then automatically put back into the finished document when the translation is complete, eliminating the need for lengthy reformatting at the end of the process;
- More precise translations: certain settings may be enabled for the automatic transcription of dates, numbers and proper names from the original text to the translation;
- Rapid, automated counts of words/phrases that are new or that have changed since previous translations for the same client saved in the translation memories.
- Quality control systems that conduct automatic checks to detect any misspellings or other errors that could impact the integrity of the text/format and a terminological consistency check;
- Streamlined workflow with substantial savings in translation costs and shorter time-to-market.
To put it simply, computer-assisted translation software lets the machine do all the strictly formal, automatable tasks, so professionals can devote utmost focus to their work, correctly transposing and rendering the content in the target language. Our translators work as a team on a shared translation platform using the following technologies:
CAT (Computer Assisted Translation) tools
This software enables them to complete even the most complex and voluminous translations quickly and efficiently. Landoor’s CAT programs feature a fully flexible, complete translation environment that can be adapted to any project. Edits to the text while the translation is in progress are never an issue because this highly innovative software allows translators to revise, edit and manage the individual projects in every stage of the translation process. The best CAT tools also enable users to search for or automatically receive suggestions on similar content or in connection with the text’s macro-sector and rapidly search for previously translated terms based on concordance.
Translation memories (TM)
Translation memories are databases assembled out of sentences or segments of text (translation units) that have already been translated and approved and are recalled when they reappear (identically or partially) in other sections of the same text or new documents. The memory of previous translations used in this way significantly speeds up the translation process and helps maintain consistent terminology throughout the text and across different texts. The advantages of using translation memories only increase over time as the database grows with the memory of each translation for each client. These advantages are amplified further with the use of termbase tools, as explained below.
Unlike translation memories, termbases contain individual terms rather than strings of text (or phrases) for rapid and secure searches of technical and industry-specific terminology (which the clients themselves have often validated). Our term management software simplifies the creation, translation, validation and distribution of glossaries (which are, in certain cases, compiled by specialized terminologists) so translators can work together to develop and maintain centralized glossaries of approved terminology for each project.
Our CAT tools are complete with integrated quality control (QC) functions to verify that the translation is 100% error-free in terms of terminology, syntax and spelling. As we have explained, CAT software combines two main types of databases and makes them available in real time: text segment memories and term databases. Clients often provide their own glossaries and translation memories or validate those compiled by the translator (or terminologist). Once these resources have been added to the memory of our CAT tools, they help our professionals translate each individual word, expression or phrase consistently in the company’s style and industry and/or legal jargon. Not to be confused with MT (machine translation) tools, CAT tools are software solutions that facilitate the shared management of texts on a translation platform designed for the team of translators. Human translators are and will always remain vital for our work, as they put the seal of quality on the finished product.